Privacy in Media

1_E7ltiaRhPKkt6OqnZUhEew.jpeg

After dissecting how private companies, such as Google, use my information and store it, I had to ask myself a few questions...

Am I really a private person?

While I might consider myself a private person, recent TedTalks and class lectures have convinced me otherwise. I had learned that Facebook, owned by Google, had been storing data points from me based on my internet activity.  That sounds scary right? The sad thing is that I gave the private company permission to collect my data into digital dossiers or portfolios through the contractor adhesion and to use it however they please under the Third Party Doctrine. Although I might not intentionally post private information about myself on social media or the internet, certain data points or hints can lead these companies to piece together who I am, where I am from, my interests, ect. So no, I guess I am not a private person since I am always using Google for everything and have all my information saved in my Apple phone and laptop. 

Do I want to be the product of private businesses?

I was aware that Google and other private companies sell my information, however, it did not concern me for years since I figured that most companies that wanted to target ads towards me already had my information. I thought there was nothing I could do about it at this point. After learning more about how my iPhone could record my location and conversations I changed my mind. Targeted ads can be helpful for me, but I don't appreciate the method in which companies are collecting information from me infringing on my privacy. So no, I don't want to be objectified by private businesses like Google so they can make a profit off of me. The search engine or Facebook may be free to use, but at what cost? My right to privacy. 

Does the government also have my information?

Certainly, I'm sure that there are some questionable topics that I have had to research for a class before that the government might not like. Now Amazon is in contract with the CIA so the government does have access to my information that I feed into Amazon via cookies, which is considered a subpoena. I did not recognize the danger my reputation could potentially be in or how my civil liberties were being infringed upon if I had searched a website to learn more about a terrorist group or communism. Police departments also use technology to collect photos about us by automatic license plate readers and other surveillance gear. So now the local government is tracking our daily lives and collecting data. Also, my roommate has an Alexa, and I'm sure there's been anything from political talk between us to personal conversations. It's unfortunate for us as American citizens that we have to worry about these things, but the government has found a loop-hole to buy data from us via private companies. 

What can I do differently to live more privately?

Below I will list some steps that I plan to take based on my research.

1. Clear internet history including searches, passwords, ect. 

2. Use VNP to encrypt all of my communications (emails and phone calls)

3. Always opt out of cookies and read the agreement statement

4. Use alternative internet browsers (Tor, Duck Duck Go, ect.)

5. Stop allowing companies to save my information for future purchases

6. Disable face recognition or Touch ID on my iPhone

Sources: http://medlawlit.blogspot.com

Image source: https://campuspress.yale.edu/tribune/internet-privacy-matters/




Comments

Popular Posts